Soffits in Progress

Hey Everyone!  If you've been following me on Instagram (if you're not, then you should!) then you'll know that I'm currently working on building some soffits in my basement bedroom.  We've gone back and forth on what to do with the ceiling for four years.  We had been just dealing with it, but I can't stand it anymore.  So I took matters into my own hands and got the ball rolling and made the decision to box in the duct work and put drywall up.  Drywall is extremely cheaper then it's counterparts (ie dropped ceiling and ceiling tiles).  To put up ceiling tiles was going to be around $350.  Whereas some wood and drywall was going to be infinitely cheaper and easier.  I'll have to give you a final total once it's all done.

The great part about soffits is that the inside doesn't have to look too pretty, it's what it'll look on the outside that'll count.  I started out by making the hardest part first.  I had measured and planned the layouts prior to making most everything.  Well, the best laid plans...don't always turn out to be.  I'm more of a wing it kind of person in these kind of circumstances, whereas Josh is more of a planner.  We have three small windows in our basement third bedroom which we did not want to block off.  In order to create a more streamline room but not block off the window on the side of the house we had to make a soffit box for the window.

Above you can see the soffit box for the window.  We framed out as big of an area as the ducts would allow near the window.  This will give the area as much light as possible.  When it's all drywalled and finished I'll be able to take better pictures to show you.

The next soffit ladder I made was infinitely easier.  I need two 8ft soffit ladders for the other side of the soffit and a smaller box that'll fit next to the wall.  These ladders will square off the ceiling and make it look more unified.

Next up was the weird soffit.  It's a weird little duct that was coming out of one wall and into another in a corner. 

I had a genius idea to box it in and extend it so then we could put shelves underneath to make it a cute little shelved area.  So I started winging it and building the soffit and this is what I came up with.

I utilized my kreg jig for part of this soffit.  I had to utilize a 1x3 because I needed to put something in front of the duct on the right, but not be too thick that I couldn't put drywall up on it.  I still need to put a 1x3 in the front left side and across the front.  Also I'd like to put a support bar in the middle at the top since a 1x3 won't be as strong as the 2x3s that I'm using to build my soffits.

It's all still a work in progress and is getting there in time.  In the mean time I need to research recessed lighting, different switches, and electrical plugs.  There is still a lot to do before the basement is finished, but it's a work in progress, which is more than it was before.  I'll keep you posted!

 Have fun!


Popular Posts